Mom University is an exclusive and engaging all-day event designed to motivate moms to master motherhood! Specially designed for Moms by Moms, this one-of-a-kind event will be packed with inspiring speakers, spa services, a Mom Marketplace, and more! Our mission is simple: to arm moms with practical solutions to everyday problems with the goal of making life easier for them and to provide Moms with a supportive space to relax, recharge, and learn how to thrive not just in motherhood, but in life. This year’s conference theme is “Living with Intention.” So, save the date and make a plan to PUT YOURSELF FIRST for a change!
Mom University will be held on Sunday, March 10, 2019, at Locust Grove in Poughkeepsie.
8:00 AM – Doors open! Mom Marketplace & Spa Services Open! Come early, grab a cup of *HOT* coffee, and peruse our Marketplace! If you purchased a Spa Package ticket and received an early morning appointment, go and enjoy your YOU time!
9:00 AM – Opening Remarks, Breakfast and Keynote Speaker – Divorced families are not broken families! Business owner and Mom, Julie Ciardi will speak about the intentional decisions she made in order to thrive in both her personal and professional life!
10:00 AM – 10:50 AM – Breakout Session 1 (Choose to attend any one of the four workshops listed below.)
- Burnout to Bliss – Burnout is stealing all the joy out of motherhood. Moms are overwhelmed, under appreciated, and totally exhausted. It is NOT your fault! We can reclaim our health and well-being by understanding our unique energy blueprint (Human Design) and committing to a few simple steps. Presented by Jennifer Bronsnick
- Self-Care Goals You Can Actually Achieve – You deserve to be able to take a shower and leave the house by yourself without guilt (yours) or anarchy (theirs). In this interactive session and honest discussion, we will look at what is really important to you. Presented by Lauree Ostrofsky
- Managing Those Maddening Meltdowns (Without Melting Down Yourself!) – If you are the mother of a toddler or preschooler, then you know tantrums happen. Sometimes, try as you might, there is simply no avoiding an epic meltdown, whether it’s at mealtime (no, just because you add milk to a bowl of rainbow sprinkles does not mean they become breakfast cereal), bedtime (no, we can’t read the same book just one more time, that is, the 9th time), or out in public (no, we can’t actually buy this entire shelf of toys at Target). More often than not, tantrums are best understood not in isolation solely as emotions and behaviors that children demonstrate but rather as interactions that occur between children and their caregivers. The good news here is that the way you respond to your child’s tantrum behavior is critically important, and can have a big impact on both how long a tantrum lasts and how bad it gets (for everyone involved, including the customers at Target). The more you are able to keep your cool and stay regulated during your little one’s emotional outburst, the more likely it is to pass (relatively) quickly and painlessly. But how on earth to do that? Learn how at this workshop. Presented by Rebecca Schrag Hershberg
- Metacognition: The Skill Kids Need to “Drive” Their Brains – We now know that ADHD is a not a problem of hyperactivity but instead one of underdeveloped executive functions (planning and goal setting, flexibility, working memory, emotional regulation, sustained attention, and impulse control). In fact, a lot of the hyperactive behavior is believed to help drive blood flow to the brain to help increase these executive functions. Many of these issues can be addressed with strategies that help children increase awareness of their own thoughts and feelings, otherwise known as metacognitive strategies. By helping kids “wake up” parts of their brain and learn to “drive” their brains, they can become more in control of their behaviors and make better choices. Presented by Jessica Poggioli
11:00 AM – 11:50 AM – Breakout Session 2 (Choose to attend any one of the four workshops listed below.)
- Motherhood is not for sissies – It is time to Master Motherhood – Society places this stigma on being a Mom that it is all so magical. Women do struggle with being a Mom and yet they usually feel ashamed of sharing their deep (mental, emotional, physical and even spiritual) struggles with it as they fear judgement. The intention of this workshop is to open the gates to allow Moms to unite in truth and understand it takes a special strength, in which we all organically have. Body, Mind, and Spiritual tools (the deeper keys to mastering motherhood) will be offered to empower you to move forward! Presented by Ondrea Lynn
- Combating Cyberbullying, Sexual Predators, the Sexy Selfie Culture, and other Insane Issues Our Girls Face – Being a parent in today’s social media/tech-obsessed culture presents a ton of unique challenges. This workshop will look at some of the real life issues affecting girls and highlight a local program that seeks to address them. Moms will be given practical tips that will assist them in being a source of support and guidance to their daughters. Presented by Leah Feldman
- The Ultimate Meal Prep Guide for Busy Moms! (Or ‘What am I Going to Cook Tonight?’) – It’s easy to cook a quick convenience food or head to a restaurant when everyone is hungry and nothing is defrosted, but a little planning can prevent this! In this workshop, you will learn that with only 30 minutes of planning each week your family can eat healthy, save money, have less waste, way less stress and save tons of time! Presented by Alyson Chugerman
- Top 3 Legal Tools Every Mom Needs to Protect Your Family and Your Assets – Knowledge is power. Proper planning is a gift you give to yourself and your loved ones. The advice of an attorney is not just for big companies and tragic situations. Educate yourself about the best way to form a business or side hustle in a cost effective way that reduces exposure to liability, how a business entity protects your assets if sued, and how a well worded contract is worth its weight in gold. Also discussed will be the critical importance of having a Will that selects the legal guardian of your children so that the court system doesn’t decide for you as well as the importance of pre-nup or post-nup agreements for blended families so that mom’s wishes are clear and her assets are protected for her children. Presented by Jessica Segal
12:00 PM – Lunch and Shop in our Mom Marketplace!
1:00 PM – 1:50 PM – Breakout Session 3 (Choose to attend any one of the four workshops listed below.)
- Family Centric Finances – Tired of feeling helpless and lost with your money matters? Financial freedom is not a myth. With a household budget and clearly defined goals, everyone could plan for and achieve financial success. In this breakout session, you will learn about the tools and skills necessary to help you or your family gain financial independence without all of the confusing jargon. Topics included in this session are debt reduction, cash flow management, goal setting and steps necessary to achieve these goals. Also discussed will be top tips everyone should adopt to improve their finances. If you’ve ever wanted someone to say “this is exactly what you should do,” this is it! Start the new year feeling empowered and ready to get your finances in order! Presented by Jim DeVico
- Sex Ed for Moms: You Can Talk about Sex with your Kids! – Where do babies come from? Do you and dad have sex? When can I have sex? If any of these questions make you queasy and/or terrified, this workshop is for you. You can answer your children’s questions about sexuality and sex honestly and without shame. Learn what is appropriate at what age and how to foster a positive, open conversation plus gain valuable resources for you and your child. Presented by Francesca Maresca
- Female “Fit”ness; Fitting Fitness into our Overscheduled/Overbooked Lives! – This married mom of 3 has figured out how to fit fitness into her world of organized chaos! Whether you work from home, travel for business, work 12 hour days or are the domestic engineer of your household, this workshop will give you tips for surviving the chaos by taking time to fit fitness into your routine. Presented by Lisa Loughran
- Activating Your Intuition to Live a Synchronized Life – Your intuition. Your inner voice. Your inner guiding compass. Everyone has it and very few know how to activate OR use it properly. It’s like having access to technology like the modern day GPS but being too stubborn or in disbelief to use it. Instead of learning how to use this technology, you unconsciously remain stuck, try to keep your head above water in a state of overwhelm, and probably feel lost and confused as to where to take life next. All while still trying to do your best each and every day. This workshop will share practical strategies for all personality types on how to use this ‘inborn technology’ to help simplify decision-making, experience better quality time with your family AND friends, and deepen your connection and relationship with yourself. You can live a more synchronized life; all by developing your understanding of and relationship with your intuition and inner voice! Presented by Karina Antonopoulos
2:00 PM – 2:50 PM – Breakout Session 4 (Choose to attend any one of the four workshops listed below.)
- IEP, RTI, 504, Oh My! When your child is struggling at school: Making sense of the acronyms and getting the help they need – This workshop will help demystify all of the processes and procedures in education in a user-friendly format for Moms who just want to get the help their child may need in school. Moms will leave with a better understanding of current requirements of schools, including the Response to Intervention model and the 504 and CSE process. A robust opportunity for questions and answers will be offered and personalized follow-up can be arranged to better support our Moms! Presented by Kate Sweeney
- Parenting Difficult, Oppositional, Disrespectful, Entitled Children & Adolescents in Today’s World – This workshop will address factors that result in difficulty relating to today’s kids who are more connected to their electronic devices than to parents and family, the frustration and stress dealing with the sense of entitlement they display, the powerlessness when trying to parent a constantly argumentative and manipulative kid who is disrespectful, oppositional, and seems to lack any sense of responsibility. Presented by Lorraine Prezkuta-Dia
- Tips and Tricks for Emotional Self Care – Self care and self love make for more loving, caring and compassionate parents. In this workshop, the topic of emotional well being will be discussed and what emotional balance is and what it isn’t. Participants will be taught EFT, breathing techniques, mindfulness skills, and tricks to help balance the central meridian. Moms will want to attend this workshop in order to normalize their overwhelm, anxiety, anger, and boredom and to learn about specific ways to minimize these aforementioned issues as well. Presented by Melissa Waterman
- The Pressures of Being a Popular Kid: On empowering your daughter or son to navigate the challenging middle and high school years with intent and awareness – Even though you may feel that your child is “big” by the time they get to middle and high school, those years are complicated years of soul searching, as well as recognizing and navigating social patterns and pressures. They are also very important years for building personality, character, and defining who they are and what they are capable of. During these years our pre-teens and teens really need our ear, our wisdom, and our strong and compassionate guidance. This workshop outlines the social pressures of middle and high school, how they differ for boys and girls, and suggests ideas and strategies on how to guide your pre-teens and teens through these years with awareness, intent, compassion and wisdom. Presented by Susanne Meyer-Fitzsimmons
3:00 PM – “Ignite” Speaker Presentations, Cookies and More Coffee – This time of day usually calls for another cup of joe and something special that will get us through the rest of the day. If a burst of caffeine and sugar isn’t your thing, our inspiring Ignite presenters will definitely pick you up!
4:00 PM – 5:00 PM – Final Chance to Shop in our Mom Marketplace, Closing Remarks & Raffle Winners Announced
*If you purchased a Spa Package ticket, you will need to schedule your spa appointments upon receiving your PayPal ticket receipt. All spa appointments must be made prior to the day of the event. Walk-in appointments will not be accepted. When calling each Mom U Spa service provider, simply let them know that you are calling to schedule your Mom U appointment. Appointments will be made according to the service provider’s schedule and availability. Appointments will be held throughout the day, starting at 8:00am, with the last appointment being booked at 3:00pm. Once your appointment is done, please continue to the workshop you were interested in attending.
To schedule your blowout, contact Salon Verve at: (845) 447-1042. (This will be a touch up service. Please come to the appointment with dry hair.)
To schedule your 10-minute massage, contact Caryn Brogan from Caryn Elizabeth Spa: (845) 661-4789.
To schedule your brow appointment, contact Danielle Columbo: (917) 335-6086.